Global early-stage startups competition has announced the 8 startups that will pitch at its pre-selection event in Durban, South Africa on Wednesday, June 8th, with top three startups to head to the national final in Johannesburg.
Seedstars World, the global seed-stage startup competition for emerging markets and fast-growing startup scenes, is continuing its tour in Durban, after a successful pre-selection event in Cape Town.
In line with its mission to place the spotlight on entrepreneurs from emerging markets, Seedstars World is travelling to more than 65 countries globally and 20 in Africa this year to identify the best seed-stage entrepreneurs and provide them with an opportunity to win up to USD 1 million and network with investors and mentors from around the world. Its previous participants have raised over USD 61M collectively, providing employment to more than 360 employees worldwide.
The event will take place at Mancosa (attendees can register here for free) with the startups to pitch to a panel of judges. The top three startups will be invited to Johannesburg, where they will compete with the best startups of Cape Town and Soweto (Gauteng), of which one will be crowned the most promising seed-stage startup of Seedstars World South Africa 2016. The South African competition is carried out with the support of Standard Bank, who will further support the startups on their path to success.
The 8 startups that are selected to participate at the Seedstars World pitching event are:
- You, Baby and I: An online platform that allows moms to experience brands by matching them to location and interests.
- Vitls: The startup building a revolutionary wearable medical device for homes and hospitals, allowing vitals to be monitored continuously and undisturbed from anywhere.
- Guardian Angel Safety Solution: A GPS tracking product that offers an affordable personal safety solution for children, adults, the elderly and even pets.
- Pocketpa: An on-demand app for concierge services for busy individuals and households, offering personal assistance in anyone’s pocket.
- RhinoRecon Group: An App that helps women select a hairstyle and book on-demand hairstylist.
- UXFoundry Pty. Ltd.: A platform for creating custom and enhanced instant messaging apps for businesses.
- Wango: A dating app that focuses on engaging conversations.
- Digital Sauce: The startups that is simplifying the process of receiving quotes for home renovations.
“After seeing more and more activity coming up from Durban, we decided to put it on the map of our 2016 tour, and so far we are very impressed with the startups and the ecosystem in general. We can’t wait to see the startups pitching at Seedstars Durban next week. ” says Marcello Schermer, Regional Manager for Africa at Seedstars World.
“Seedstars has been a great partner in South Africa assisting us to unlock the potential of the startup community. We are extremely proud to be extending the Seedstars competition to include Durban as part of our Virtual Incubator offering. We look forward to the Seedstars event in Durban in June where we select the top 3 to join us at the grand finale at the Standard Bank Business Incubator in Rosebank.” says Jayshree Naidoo, Standard Bank Incubator Head.
Entrepreneur Traction will act as the local ambassador across the continent and will represent the initiative throughout the year. Other partners include local and international organizations, such as Omidyar Network, Payfast, Startup Grind, Durban Hub and Smartspace. In addition Seedstars World has partnered with TRECC to bring the “Transforming Education Prize”, which will award the best startup in the education space from around the world with a prize of over USD 50,000.
The event will take place on Wednesday, June 8th from 4-9PM, tickets are free and attendees can register here.