Seedstars World and StartupYourLife Host First Successful Africa Summit
Seedstars World (SSW), the global seed-stage startup competition for emerging markets and fast-growing startup scenes, joined forces with StartupYourLife (SYL), one of the major Moroccan startup organizations, to host Seedstars Africa, the first edition of an annual Africa Summit that connects African entrepreneurs, investors and entrepreneurship ecosystems to the world.
After hosting competitions across 16 African countries, Seedstars World and StartupYourLife invited 300 attendees, the local winners from Africa and over 25 mentors from across the world to Casablanca for a 2-day bootcamp and a full day conference from January 28-30. The event culminated in a competition that awarded the best African startup a set of in kind prizes from Seedstars and Microsoft Bizspark.
The jury that selected the winner consisted of:
- Hasan Haider: Venture Partner for MENA @ 500 Startups
- Alexandra Fraser: Founding Member @ African Business Angel Network
- Emmanuel Quartey: Head of Product @ MEST Ghana
After listening to all the pitches, the jury awarded Asoriba, a startup from Ghana the OCP African Startup award. Asoriba is a cloud-based church management software that allows easier administration of churches and members, faster communication and seamless payment for churches. The investors were impressed with the company’s traction and market size with over 2.5 million churches in Africa alone. The other startups who participated were:
- Moovi (Mozambique): Moovi is a web/mobile platform that lets anyone create relevant events within their surrounding community. It is as simple as “thinking, planning and tapping” and Moovi unlocks all your desired experiences!
- Giraffe (South Africa): Giraffe is a revolutionary new mobile recruitment tool that aims to reduce unemployment in South Africa.
- Asoriba (Ghana): Asoriba is a web and mobile application that enables effective church administration for leaders, and seamless engagement with members
- Airshop (Ivory Coast): Airshop is a platform that enables travelers to pre-order items online and pick them up at duty-free shops whenever they’re on the road. Simply put, Airshop is a marketplace for duty-free shopping.
- Intership (Uganda): IntershipUG is a package forwarding service unlocking the US and UK, providing consolidation and allowing various shipping methods
- Illuminum Greenhouses (Kenya): Illuminum Greenhouses creates a limitless integrated solar-powered farm automation system with sensors controlled via SMS from the farmers’ mobile phone.
- Fidel by Ahadoo Tec (Ethiopia): Ahadoo Tec provides African students access to curriculum-mapped content both online and offline through Fidel, a native Android app and web app.
- Jobartis (Angola): Jobartis combines traditional and market-specific job-board features to develop the number one online job portal in Angola.
- Juabar (Tanzania): Juabar is a network of mobile solar electricity stores that provide phone charging services and distribute energy products as a point of sale.
- VoLo (Senegal): Makes healthcare easily accessible and affordable in Africa using its VTIP Health product.
- SolarizEgypt (Egypt): SolarizEgypt is a solar power provider that uses customized solutions to provide a balanced cost/value proposition to an emerging market.
- IO Grow (Algeria): CRM for social selling, integrated with Linkedin, Twitter and Gmail.
- Omniup (Morocco): Omniup Ads is an innovative advertising solution on smartphones: free wi-fi service in public places in exchange of video ads & web interaction.
After the event in Casablanca, all 16 African startups will come to Geneva at the end of February, meet over 40 startups from other countries and compete for the numerous prizes such as the 500k USD of equity investment for the global winner and the 500k USD travel track investment with the lastminute.com group. The Summit will bring together hundreds of attendees, ecosystem players, corporates and governments from across the world. Tickets for the Seedstars Summit are available for purchase at: http://www.seedstarsworld.com/summit
“They tried to bury us, they didn’t know we were seeds.” – Mexican proverb
Seedstars (seedstars.com) is a global organisation based in Switzerland with activities in more than 50 countries around the world. Its mission is to impact people’s lives in emerging markets through entrepreneurship and technology. The company’s goal is to develop and foster startup ecosystems by connecting, building and investing in driven entrepreneurs. Seedstars connects the best entrepreneurs with investors, corporates and media, and helps them to scale to new markets. They build companies by bringing together resources, talents and growth techniques, and eventually, invest in the most promising entrepreneurs. Sharing the values of trust, efficiency and diversity, Seedstars aims to support the whole entrepreneurial ecosystem from entrepreneurs to investors passing through governments and corporates.
About Startup Your Life
StartupYourLife is a Moroccan NGO, founded in 2012 by Kenza Lahlou and Saad Jennane, with the mission of empowering innovative entrepreneurs in Morocco.
SYL is a platform to connect entrepreneurs with mentors, investors, decision makers in Morocco and around the world, and provide them with the resources they need to successfully grow their startup.
Over the past 3 years SYL has built the largest startup community in Morocco of more than 200 members and organized about 20 successful events that enabled entrepreneurs to find funding, talent, customers and exposure. Today SYL is a leading player in the Moroccan ecosystem and is building bridges with other ecosystems in the MENA region, Africa and around the world.
About OCP Entrepreneurship Network
Supported by Fondation OCP, OCP Entrepreneurship Network aims to promote and foster entrepreneurial ecosystems in Morocco. Thanks to its web of local, national and international partners, it focuses on key areas of entrepreneurial development through a job creation and business growth approach.
More information on: www.ocpen.org
Regional Manager for Africa
Follow @ on Twitter